I’m about to share complete blasphemy with you, wrapped and bound snugly in the heartstrings of emotionalism and self esteem. Before you see this in your youth group, in your women’s Bible study, on your timeline, or even from the Jumbotron at your church, I hope you see it here first.
I post this story as a preemptive strike against those who will perpetuate the lies of the enemy of our souls. Thy do it beautifully, with skilled manipulation cloaked in tears. If a wolf cries real tears, then what they are saying must be true, right? After all, God judges the heart, and this wolf’s heart is humble.
If that sounds harsh, I don’t mean it to be. You see, the battle for truth is very real, and very wicked. The enemy’s tactics are as old as “Hath God really said?”
Several years ago some dear women I know shared these same lies in the form of a video titled "Who You Are: A Message For Women", by Jon Jorgenson. Yes, it made church Jumbotrons. Youth groups. And women's Bible study groups.
Because I know God’s Word, I recognized the wolf. I did some background checking on him and wrote about the dangerous deception of his messages here, so that others could mark and avoid him.
Today the female version of the enemy’s lies appeared on my timeline (shared by professing Christians), titled, “Witch Hunt: A Message to Humanity.” The author is Juliana Neilson, s a life coach from Indiana.
I can just see the tears of emotion streaming once again for a message that tells women that they are not broken or in need of a Savior; it’s all a man-made lie to make you feel bad.
Some will believe that this is a Christian message. After all, this woman quotes Scripture, or a loose notion of it. But if you don’t read your Bible and study it, if your women’s “Bible studies” have you feasting on Beth Moore, Jen Hatmaker, Ann Voskamp, etc., instead of His breathed-out Word of truth, you won’t even recognize how this woman twists the truth of the Bible into a feel-good heresy.
If you don’t want to watch the entire blasphemous thing, here are some highlights:
2:34 “You’ve been told that you’re dirty that you’re broken, that on your best day you’re still painfully inadequate. That your true colors are evil. But what if this tale isn’t true? What if it’s all a hoax? Maybe the townspeople were wrong. What if they misunderstood that there is in beast in you?”
3:35 “If there’s anything that needs to die it’s this tale we’ve been telling for far too long; this infection we’ve spread, passed down to our children! It’s time to share a new narrative with one another. It’s time for you to believe a new story about yourself: You are not broken. You are not intrinsically damaged. You are not destined to spend the rest of your life fighting a losing battle."
And, (spoiler alert), it builds up to a voluminous crescendo to conclude:
“You are WHOLE! You are BEAUTIFUL! You are WORTHY! You are SO GOOD! And this is just the beginning of the true story we call humanity.”
Watch this not with an open mind, but an open Bible:
Boo hoo hoo, please pass the tissues. Ladies, if you see this being propagated as truth, you need to soundly rebuke those who are sharing these lies. How do you do that? With the truth of Scripture. Because if I am enough or if I am SO GOOD, then the Bible is lying about my heart being deceitfully wicked.
There are none righteous, no not one. The truth about who I really am is why Christ had to die on the cross. Neilson, Jorgenson and others will tell you that His sacrifice was pointless.
The way God sees us is clear from the way He described us in the verses below. But the Good News is that Jesus died for wicked hearts, as the sacrifice to take the penalty of sin. He beat death! He is our hope; He is worthy, and He is SO GOOD.
- Jeremiah 17:9 - “The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?”
- Titus 1:15-16 - to the defiled and unbelieving, nothing is pure; but both their minds and their consciences are defiled.
- Ecclesiastes 9:3 - Also, the hearts of the children of man are full of evil, and madness is in their hearts while they live, and after that they go to the dead.
- Romans 1:28-31 - And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done. They were… foolish
- Ephesians 4:17-18 - you must no longer walk as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their minds. They are darkened in their understanding, alienated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them, due to their hardness of heart.
- Jeremiah 10:7-8,14 - among all the wise ones of the nations and in all their kingdoms there is none like you. They are both stupid and foolish… Every man is stupid and without knowledge
- Matthew 15:19 - “For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false witness, slander.” (c.f. Mark 7:21-23)
- Genesis 6:5 & 8:21 - The Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually… from his youth.
- Proverbs 10:20 - the heart of the wicked is of little worth.
- Proverbs 28:26 - Whoever trusts in his own [heart] is a fool
- Psalm 143:2 - Enter not into judgment with your servant, for no one living is righteous before you.
- Romans 11:32 - For God has consigned all to disobedience, that he may have mercy on all. (c.f. Galatians 3:22)
- Romans 3:23 - for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God
- 2 Chronicles 6:36 - “there is no one who does not sin”
- Isaiah 53:6 - All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned—every one—to his own way
- Micah 7:2-4 - The godly has perished from the earth, and there is no one upright among mankind; they all lie in wait for blood, and each hunts the other with a net. Their hands are on what is evil, to do it well; the prince and the judge ask for a bribe, and the great man utters the evil desire of his soul; thus they weave it together. The best of them is like a brier, the most upright of them a thorn hedge.
- Romans 3:9-12 - What then? Are we Jews any better off? No, not at all. For we have already charged that all, both Jews and Greeks, are under sin, as it is written: “None is righteous, no, not one; no one understands; no one seeks for God. All have turned aside; together they have become worthless; no one does good, not even one.” (c.f. Psalm 14:1-3, 53:1-3)
- 1 John 1:8,10 - If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we say we have not sinned, we make [God] a liar, and his word is not in us.
- Mark 10:18/Luke 18:19 - And Jesus said to him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone.”
- Mark 7:21-23 - “For from within, out of the heart of man, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, coveting, wickedness, deceit, sensuality, envy, slander, pride, foolishness. All these evil things come from within, and they defile a person.” (c.f. Matthew 15:19)
- Psalm 5:9 - For there is no truth in their mouth; their inmost self is destruction; their throat is an open grave; they flatter with their tongue.